The Brighton Asylum for the Instruction of the Blind started in 1841 as a small school for blind pupils at the home of William Moon in Queen's Road, Brighton. After a short time they moved to a building in Egremont Place which was shared with children with other disabilities. However, the number of blind pupils increased so the school moved again and by 1844 was situated in the Central National Schools in Church Street (ESC 16) with the entrance to the Asylum round the corner in Jubilee Street
In October 1861 the Asylum moved to newly constructed premises (demolished in 1958) in Eastern Road, which had been designed by Somers Clarke (1841-1926) of 20 Cockspur Street, London, on land donated by the Rev Henry Venn Elliott. It had two school-rooms, a music and dining hall, work-room and a willow-soaking room for basket-making. In 1904 it was decided that the Asylum should cease to be mixed and that it would henceforth take only boys; the girls were transferred to the Barclay School for Partially Sighted Girls
The Asylum was evacuated to Upton Hall, near Newark, Nottinghamshire in February 1942 and returned to Brighton in about June 1945. It was renamed the Brighton School for Partially Sighted Boys in 1946 having been known as the Brighton School for Blind Boys since 1921. In 1951 it moved to Blatchington Court (previously a private girls' school), 76 Belgrave Road, East Blatchington and the Eastern Road premises were sold.
On 19 July 1985 the School was closed. The assets were realised at the direction of the Charity Commissioners and the proceeds used to endow the Blatchington Court Trust, when it was formerly re-established on 14 April 1993.
© 2020 Blatchington Court Trust | Registered Charity No. 306350